Friday, July 12, 2024

The Fall of New Rome (6)


https://www.geschichtsforum.de/thema/die-quinquereme-von-vettor-fausto-die-groesste-galeere-aller-zeiten.24504/ 

It took me about a week after my return to complete the initial draft of "The Fall of New Rome." I collected numerous notes which I will review while going through the paper. I plan to add illustrations and a conclusion. However, the work is now finished and needs to sit for a while. I have started gathering data for the last chapter of Part III, which is about The War of Chioggia. This was the final clash between Venice and Genoa in their struggle to maintain a trade monopoly with the East. Additionally, I have worked on a magazine version of my first article, "Galleys in the Medieval Mediterranean." I have adjusted the style to make it more accessible to the general public and informal.

I recently renewed my membership as a patron of the Scribd online library, which allows me to borrow entire books for my research. Unfortunately, not all books can be borrowed due to a court decision. For instance, Thomas F. Madden's "Venice, A New History" is only available as an extract on Google Books.

I reviewed the version of "Galley Slaves," an article written for a chapter about Later Galleys (16-18 centuries) and uploaded it on the Academia site:

https://www.academia.edu/121984361/_Galley_Slaves_

My research focuses on the diverse individuals who rowed galleys in the Early Modern Mediterranean. I specifically examine the category of rowers known as “galley slaves,” a term that accurately applies to a distinct group of rowers from the sixteenth to eighteenth centuries. Towards the end of the Age of the Galley, the number of rowed warships plummeted, and slave traffic sought other destinations to achieve their nefarious objectives.

I translated to Russian another article, "Vettor Fausto’s Quinquereme,"

https://www.academia.edu/117426402/Vettor_Fausto_s_Quinquereme

as a preparation to a future lecture. It is a very short paper and needs additional materials on other topics to create a meaningful background.

 The article focuses on a sixteenth-century experiment to build a massive galley that was rowed alla sensile, with five oars per bench. Vettor Fausto proposed the idea of a colossal warship armed with a powerful cannon, which later became part of a successful strategy that led to the creation of the galleasses of Lepanto.


No comments:

Post a Comment