Friday, July 19, 2024

A lecture on Vettor Fausto's Quinquereme

 I have been preparing another lecture on galleys, which will comprise two parts. The first part is devoted to Vettor Fausto's quinquereme, i.e., a vessel with five oars on each bank. It is based on my article 

https://www.academia.edu/117426402/Vettor_Fausto_s_Quinquereme

The second part embraces several topics: nocturnal voyage, operational range, speed, and crew watering. It is based on yet unpublished parts of the article "The Early Light Galleys." 

In the meantime, I continue familiarizing myself with the events of the War of Chioggia (1378-1380), my next target. I want to check the situation in Tenedos (an island at the entrance to the Dardanelles) and Tana (Azov), the northmost Italian trading station at the mouth of the Don River. These locales are associated with the struggle between Venice and Genoa for domination in the Eastern Mediterranean. They are mentioned in the Treaty of Milan (1380), which sealed the war. I started developing ideas and collecting images. 

During my research, I stumbled upon intriguing data about rare collisions between galleys and sailing ships. While these events are uncommon, they are certainly worth mentioning. I am still deliberating whether this topic belongs to the early or later galleys, but it seems to have been overlooked by scholars. 

I am thrilled to share that my audience on Academia has just reached a new milestone--12,000. The last contribution is gaining significant traction, and I am proud to be part of this engaging community.   

 https://www.academia.edu/121984361/_Galley_Slaves_



No comments:

Post a Comment