Thursday, July 25, 2019

How to Measure the Earth's Circumference

Hopefully, you are perfectly aware of it. However, back in time scholars would come up with educative guesses about the Earth's circumference.

This is the story of various evaluations. I made an effort to convert ancient measures into modern ones to show you the margin of deviation. To do this, I blend all the known samples of these measures into a 'consensus value', which is the average meaning. I refer to the stadium, Arab mile, and Roman mile. I mention Eratosthenes, Posidonius, Pierre d'Ailly, Ahmad Al-Farghani, and Christopher Columbus. 

This is the second chapter of my book, "The Enchanting Encounter with the East". You can also view chapter 1: What If the Earth is the Sphere.

My website gets attention from people around the world with more than 250 hits. I intend to continue uploading other parts of my second book.

Meanwhile, I decided to review my first book, "Dawn and Sunset". I research new info about the origin of the first cities in Mesopotamia.

I got a proposal to read a lecture about the Hyksos in a public hall in Tel Aviv. I am excited since it is going to be my first public appearance. I got interested in the Hyksos while looking for a theme to enlighten the history of ancient Israel. 

Several years ago, when I was working on the paper devoted to the origins of ancient Israel, I became convinced that the Israelites are part of the land of Canaan. In other words, Exodus is a terrific myth. 

Suddenly, I got the idea for my fourth project. I should start the history of ancient Israel not with the Stela of Merneptah but with the description of the Canaanites. One of the implications is the story of the Hyksos, the members of the Canaanite elite who rose to power in the Nile Delta. I am currently collecting material for this lecture. Wish me good luck. I really need it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment