Pioneering the Atlantic Route (Final draft)

Yesterday, October 2, 2026, I uploaded the final draft of my paper,  "Pioneering the Atlantic Route: The Genoese Vessels Unlock the Maritime Route to the North Sea," on Academia.edu. 

https://www.academia.edu/176668099/Pioneering_the_Atlantic_Route_The_Genoese_Vessels_Unlock_the_Maritime_Route_to_the_North_Sea 

The sections on lateen-rigged ships, cogs, and early carracks have undergone major revisions. I enlisted AI to check controversial statements. I requested and received permission from an American sailor and a journalist to reproduce his photo of a modern shoal-[shallow-] draft vessel deliberately going aground. The same practice as used by cogs in my story.
The account comprises 15,500 words and 96 notes, including explanations of nautical terms. I added a conclusion that repeats the same ideas in a different, more nuanced tone. Most additions make this piece readable for both history students and history enthusiasts.  

This is the first article of a cycle called "The Quest for the Golden Fleece," devoted to the Flanders galleys. I want to deliver a lecture in Russian for a history section of the New Israeli Scientific Association. 

I have already drafted the next chapter, with a working title, "The Venetian Response." In it, I will reveal the logic behind the creation of the Flanders galley. I have started editing the paper, which might take a long time. 

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The War of Chioggia: Final Version

My Membership

Merchant Galleys: Medieval Seafaring