The Venetian Response: The Inauguration of the Great Galley

Although the draft of this article is ready, I will not upload it yet for two reasons. 

The main reason is the chapter order. "The Venetian Response" is the second chapter, and I don't like to move it before the first one, "Pioneering the Atlantic Route." The latter still needs many changes, including additional lines on the Champagne Fairs, Genoese round ships, north-European cogs, Mediterranean cogs, and a few others. 

When I finish developing the first account, I will solve the second, financial problem by renewing my  Academia Premium membership, which will give my articles broader exposure. 

Here is the outline of the second chapter:

1.       A new design

2.       A Specialized Ship

3.       The galley as a Sailer

a.       The Open-sea Crossing  

b.       Around the clock and against opposing winds

c.       In flat calms

4.       The Galley as a Warship

5.        The Galley as a Freighter

6.       Life expectancy

7.       Nobile sopra l’incanto

8.       The crew

a. The Captain

b. The Patron and his Mates

c. Specialists

d. Galeotti

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The War of Chioggia: Final Version

Merchant Galleys: Medieval Seafaring

The Battle of the Formigues Islands: the final version