The Galley versus the Round Ship (2)

 Chapter 1 of my third manuscript, "The Fright and Thrill of Navigation: Seafaring in the Medieval and the Renaissance Mediterranean", is over. At least, its the first draft. I have erased most of the obvious errors with the aid of Grammarly. I am considering hiring its Premium version to become a better writer. 

This chapter compares and contrasts the two medieval and renaissance watercraft types in the Mediterranean considering their functions, navigation, and more. I also added about 60 notes and two illustrations:

 




The first is a fourteenth-century lateen-rigged Byzantine galley, whereas the second is a ninth-century Byzantine ship sporting a settee sail. 

The paper needs time to "dry up". It might endure some further corrections and require a fresh look. Meanwhile, I have started collecting material for the second chapter. It will focus on warships and comprise several parts. For example, the development of gunpowder ordnance on board. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The War of Chioggia: Final Version

The Battle of the Formigues Islands: the final version

Merchant Galleys: Medieval Seafaring