Friday, June 18, 2021

Merchant Galleys (1)

 

By Konrad Grünenberg - http://digital.blb-karlsruhe.de/id/7061, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=19285559

A Venetian three-masted galley delivers pilgrims to the Holy Land, 1486/7

This week I have been collecting data about merchant galleys in the Mediterranean for chapter 3 of my new project. 

I found an old article by W.B. Watson, The Structure of the Florentine galley trade with Flanders and England in the 15th century. Revue belge de Philologue et d'Histoire, 1961, 39-4. It speaks about the trips of Florentine galleys to north-western Europe during the 16th century. The author claims that there was a trade disbalance between incoming merchandise and local products. 

I reread F.C. Lane's book, "Venetian Ships and Shipbuilders of the Renaissance". (Borodino Books, 2018), especially the chapter devoted to merchant galleys with an extensive citation from Fabri's account about the pilgrimage to the Holy Land. 

I looked through E. Bradford's book, "The Great Siege: Malta, 1565". It does add anything about commercial galleys and even speaks little about the galley war but the topic has interested me since I visited Malta. I realized that the Knights of St. John were aided by the local population even if there were previous tensions between them. 

Next week, I will check some more books and then compare new data with the draft chapter written about 7 years ago. Now and then, I pick up novel info or fresh expressions that can help improve my previous chapters. That's why I decided to compose notes toward the end of the project when most of the corrections will be well underway. 






No comments:

Post a Comment