Friday, May 1, 2020

May 2020 Update

I hope you are feeling well and the days of the coronavirus will be over although this epidemic seems to stay with us for a while.

I spoke with an editor of the literary magazine about the possibility of publishing my latest research "The Rediscovered Islands" in Russian. As he was interested, I started to translate the article. Of course, there will be some minor corrections: it will be another version of the same text. I may add additional illustrations, especially the diagram that explains the clockwise movements of the ocean currents in the tropical belt of the Atlantic. 

I resolved to skip over the topic of the discovery of Madeira and the Azores since I still recount the events of the XIV century or the Little Age of Discovery, as I have dubbed it. The discussion of naval charts relating to these islands will be put off to later chapters. 

Meanwhile, I started collecting material about the quest for the Rio del Oro ('The Golden River') and the 'Golden Island". I wrote an article about this topic many years ago when I researched it for my second book. Nevertheless, as it was devoted to maritime exploration, I transferred it to my third project. I am going to focus on the Trans-Saharan trade and the opportunities for European merchants. An extra topic is a quest for Prester John on the African mainland. Here I will present only preliminary considerations. 

If you share my interest in maritime expeditions before and during the Age of Discovery, you may read two papers that are part of my third project. Both are uploaded on my research page at academia.edu: "How Wide Spans the Ocean Sea" and "Beyond the Pillars of Hercules".



I am looking for a new digital academic library to read history books in full since my previous one, Questia, is about to close in a few months. Any ideas? 

No comments:

Post a Comment