Friday, August 9, 2019

The Trefoil of the World

Pietro Vesconte's Mappa Mundi dating the early XIV century

A chapter from my second book, "The Enchanting Encounter with the East" describes the evolution of the mappae mundi, i.e. the 'world maps' of the medieval imagination. These drawings upgrade from simple schemes of Isidore de Seville showing tripartite inhabited earth to more elaborate designs, which incorporate the Ptolemy vision (Hartman Schedel's "The Nuremberg Chronicle") or reflect geographic discoveries ( Heinrich Buntings Cloverleaf Map) or marry with sea charts (Pietro Vesconte). Like an oriental carpet, the brave medieval world of sacred and profane rolls out before your eyes. 

As usual, I would appreciate any comments. You can read this chapter on my site https://independent.academia.edu/BaizermanMichael
where you can find other papers relating either to my second book or my first one, "Dawn and Sunset: A Tale of the Oldest Cities in the Near East". 

I am preparing a lecture on the origin of ancient Israel which is scheduled on August 28th in the Science Club, Tel Aviv. 

I am taking a FutureLearn course, Searching and Researching, which is given by the University of Leeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment