Friday, September 8, 2017

The Storm from the East

I am doing an additional research about the Mongol assault on Central Europe in 1241-42. I would like to show what intrigue was hiding behind the decision to launch the western campaign and understand the interplay between the main participants. I also want to give intelligible reasons for the "Tartar" withdrawal from the arena.

It is time to reveal the background of the "barbarians", i.e. pastoral nomads of the Eurasian steppes, whose life style differed so much from that of the sedentary civilizations both in the East and the West.

There's still much work to do as I have to read a lot of monographs and articles about the medieval military history to explain the clash between the Latin Christendom and the Mongols.

No part of this article has been published yet. It will be followed by three other passages which tell the story of the contacts between the European powers and the Mongols in the aftermath of this assault.

I recommend reading a book penned by R.A. Gabriel and D.W. Boose, Jr, The Great Battles of Antiquity. They also speak about the Middle Ages.

My special thanks to the readers of my diary from Russia, the USA, and Ukraine. I remind you that the updated list of my twenty-two articles can be found at my profile page  https://scriggler.com/Profile/michael_baizerman

Image: The archery bombardment of the light cavalry with the lancers waiting concealed by the smoke screen 
https://www.realmofhistory.com/2016/02/10/10-facts-you-should-know-about-the-mongol-soldier/

Incredible_Facts_Mongol_Warrior

No comments:

Post a Comment