Thursday, August 8, 2024

The Battle of Ad Decimum (September 13, 533)

This week, I revised my article on the battle between the Byzantine army, led by General Belisarius, and the Vandal army, commanded by King Gelimer. This paper, which is part of my new project called The Intricacies of Naval Warfare, is 4600 words long.

The abstract of my article states that the Byzantine campaign against Gelimer, who seized the Vandal throne, was a crucial military operation aimed at reclaiming former Roman provinces in the Mediterranean region. Procopius, our sole source on the Vandalic War, attributes the victory to General Flavius Belisarius's skill and leadership. In addition to battling the enemy, Belisarius had to navigate the political intrigues of the East Roman court. In my narrative, I emphasize the naval aspects of the engagement and its historical significance.

You can access this article and join the discussion at

https://www.academia.edu/122683998/The_Battle_of_Ad_Decimum,

or read my other work at independent.academia.edu/BaizermanMichael.

I will be presenting a Zoom lecture on Vettor Fausto's quinquereme (a type of five-vessel galley) on Monday, August 12, at 19:00 Jerusalem time. The lecture will be recorded.

I have also resumed gathering data for a chapter on the War of Chioggia, which is my latest contribution to The Intricacies of Naval Warfare series. I am interested in providing a comprehensive perspective on the Genoese-Venetian conflict, with a focus on the Chioggia episode.



This is the map of the operations of the Vandalic War

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vandalic_War#/media/File:Vandalic_War_campaign_map.png



No comments:

Post a Comment