Wednesday, September 20, 2023

The Portage of Ships across the Isthmus

 I will devote this chapter to the Byzantine admiral, Niketas Ooryphas's indigenous decision  to transfer his dromons along the long-forgotten land route across the Isthmus of Corinth. He did this unusual deed to catch his opponent, Photios, the admiral of the Cretan Muslim fleet, off guard. I picked up this character because I want to show the tactical depth of medieval naval commanders. 

This chapter belongs to Unit II of my project, The Intricacies of Naval Warfare. Up until now, it has included four chapters:

      1.  Naval Factories, where I describe medieval naval bases.  

       2. The Battle of Ad Decimum. The collision of the Byzantine Empire with the Vandals, without a maritime battle but with the participation of the East Roman fleet, where we, for the first time, discern the use of dromons. 

       3. The Omayyad Siege of Constantinople (August 717-August 718). An amphibian battle with the use of liquid fire and weaponizing food supplies. 

       4. The Portage of Ships across the Isthmus 

       I have plans for four additional battles and more, covering the period 6-15 centuries. For example, the Byzantine reconquest of Crete seems a highly encouraging topic. 

      I recently contacted with my publishing house for online marketing of my second book, "The Enchanting Encounters with the East." 


No comments:

Post a Comment