Sunday, October 30, 2022

Light Galleys (3)

 I have made a plan of the current chapter with a working title, Light Galleys, to ease the development. It includes 16 or 17 topics and each of them needs an extra brief research. I have already covered a few items: 

LBR dimensions [length-to-beam ratio of the hull]

Functions of galleys

Sailing season

Nocturnal voyage

Operational range

Speed and watering of the crews 

   The scope of the narrative becomes enormous. I wrote 6 pages and covered about a third of the thematic list. However, now I work with confidence, realizing that I know the storyline and guess how I can narrate it. This is the key to the creative activity. 

I am ready to correct some misconceptions, even expressed by the leading scholars and primary sources. For example, medieval warships couldn't ram their rivals or galleys could  confront large round ships. I don't pledge to be original for the sake of originality. In many cases I agree with the leading experts after I get to know the facts. 

I recently read E.S. Gurkan's contribution, "Deception, Dissimilation, and Misinterpretation of the Information" in the 16th century Ottoman Empire. The Ottomans were the masters of fake news. West European courts had to hold spy nets to reveal the military intentions of the Turks. The destination of naval voyages were sometimes hidden even from admirals of the fleet. 

DECEPTION, DISSIMULATIONAND MANIPULATION OF INFORMATIONIN 16TH-CENTURY OTTOMAN EMPIRE
E
MRAH
S
AFA
G
ÜRKAN
DECEPTION, DISSIMULATIONAND MANIPULATION OF INFORMATIONIN 16TH-CENTURY OTTOMAN EMPIRE
E
MRAH
S
AFA
G
ÜRKAN
DECEPTION, DISSIMULATIONAND MANIPULATION OF INFORMATIONIN 16TH-CENTURY OTTOMAN EMPIRE
E
MRAH
S
AFA
G
ÜRKAN

No comments:

Post a Comment