Thursday, February 10, 2022

The Enchanting Encounter with the East: the book cover

 The artist sent me his proposal for the book cover. Though I cannot copy it, I will give you the general idea. There are two photos: a man climbing a steep mountain slope and another one walking along a suspension bridge. Both shots are taken in the backdrop of a "wild" environment.  

I continue to write letters to the owners of the images asking for permission to use them as the book illustrations. Until now, I have received three of them: from the British Library for the Psalter Mappa Mundi, from the University of Glasgow Library for an image from Vox Clamantis of John Gower, and from the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America for Henrich Bunting's map of the world as a cloverleaf. 

In several cases, I was unable to find the owner. I still don't quite understand the meaning of these inquiries that I had to write at the insistence of the publishing house. In most cases, the copyright expires after 70 years. All my images have far exceeded this time frame. 

Another matter. I have made great progress with a draft of my new project. The first part of chapter 1 is nearly ready. It provides an outline of galleys and medieval shipping in the Mediterranean. I have also prepared bits and pieces for reconsideration concerning other parts. Chapter 1 will comprise five parts and summing up. As usual, it will have a lot of notes and some images. 

I will copy a few extracts in this blog but will not upload the rest on my website https://independent.academia.edu/BaizermanMichael

until the beginning of 2023. The content needs to "dry up" for some time to allow me a critical perspective. Another reason is that I need to upload many chapters from my second book before I move forward. 


No comments:

Post a Comment