Saturday, August 28, 2021

Merchant Galleys (2)

 I have passed to a new stage of developing the collected data concerning medieval galleys. It will also take a great amount of time since I need to reread many pages and meanwhile I receive new articles and books. I feel that I am better prepared to address the subject and I think that besides ships and seafaring it will be good to show the life of people in the European Middle Ages and Renaissance. 

Last Monday, I delivered a lecture on zoom for the participants of the History Club. I built the speech titled "The Place of Geography in the European Middle Ages: Mathematical Geography on the Eve of the Age of Discoveries" on the first three chapters of my manuscript, "The Enchanting Encounter with the East: Breaking the Ice between the Latin West and the Far East". You can read those extracts 

https://www.academia.edu/39779482/What_If_the_Earth_is_the_Sphere

https://www.academia.edu/39924577/How_to_Measure_the_Earths_Circumference

https://www.academia.edu/39993075/How_Long_Spans_the_Inhabited_World

Some listeners wanted to read the entire book. I explained that unfortunately, it is unpublished though I downloaded 14 chapters out of 29 on my page on the Academia site

https://independent.academia.edu/BaizermanMichael?from_navbar=true

The rest will appear throughout the next year. The chairman of the meeting suggested that I should publish my articles on their institute's site. I am checking this opportunity.  

I am preparing an extract from a new book for Academia Letters, a new journal for researchers. The passage concerns the comparison between galleys and sailing ships. The topic was presented many times but I hope to have found a new approach. My last attempt was rejected because I attached an illustration from Wikipedia. Somehow the editors did not like it. I learned my lesson: no photos! I am hopeful that they will send me reviews from other contributors and I will see if I can count on publication. 


No comments:

Post a Comment