Friday, September 11, 2020

Under the Desert Sun: The Vagaries of the Trans-Saharan Trade (2)

 

The African king depicted on the Catalan Atlas is boasting of his gold reserve

Courtesy: https://www.quora.com/Individually-and-together-what-effects-did-colonialism-the-scramble-for-Africa-and-the-slave-trade-have-on-Africa 

The second part of the chapter is getting into shape. I am writing about the difficulties of crossing the Great Desert, the logistics of the journey, and its economic necessity. What is left is a conclusion and the general polish of the text. I am hopeful it won't take that long. 

The third part of the chapter will be devoted to the Wangara traders, a group of West-African merchants who engaged in salt for gold exchange. They had access to the forest zone and contacted with the gold miners. However, their impact was not reduced to gold alone. Again, the phenomenon is more important to me than a rigid time frame. 

It will probably be the last part of the chapter. I decided to avoid depicting the Portuguese advancement into Guinea at this stage of my research. I will also consider the general conclusion of Unit I instead of summing up each chapter separately. 

You may read the first three chapters of my book on my page  https://independent.academia.edu/BaizermanMichael

namely: How wide Spans the Ocean Sea

Beyond the Pillars of Hercules

The Rediscovered Islands


No comments:

Post a Comment