Friday, June 21, 2019

My Canaanite Legacy


Jaffa Thebes Limestone Relief
Defeated Canaanite warriors from the painted limestone relief at Thebes

After completing my second book, "The Enchanting Encounter with the East", I returned for a while to the old plan and started to browse evidence concerning Early Israel in hope to find material for a short article. 

In the course of my recent quest, I haven't put my finger on a particular plot but I realized that the origins of Israel are hidden much deeper than their first emergence on Merneptah Stela. I believe that the People of the Book made up an offshoot of the robust tree of the West Semites and their culture sprang up from the common Canaanite background.

I was born in Moscow but my heart has driven me to the Land of Canaan. That happened years after I had repatriated to Israel, raised a family, and embarked on an ungrateful career of a high-school teacher. 

My fascination with Canaan began with the search for the origins of Early Israel. I penned an account about Exodus, where I defined this tale as a foundation myth and established a firm link between Proto-Israelites, who flooded the highlands at the climax of the Late Bronze Age (13-12 centuries BCE), and their lowland neighbors. You can view 'The Generation of Exodus'  at scriggler.com/DetailPost/Opinion/26251
You can also take a gander at my second report, 'Mesha the Dibonite Recovers His Voice', which is available at  scriggler.com/DetailPost/Opinion/27980

I asked myself: if these Proto-Israelites were part and parcel of a local ethnic Landschaft, which features of their background could prove it beyond reasonable doubt? In plain English, who were the Canaanites and what was their legacy that I can claim- in due respect- as my own? 

I have not found the answers because it's time to think about my third book. I am hopeful to return to this issue sometime in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment