Friday, July 7, 2017

Launching the Medieval Battle for the Atlantic


"The fourteenth century saw the major breakthrough in the exploration of the ocean. During the fifty-year period, major archipelagos of the Central Atlantic were discovered and mapped. The Little Age of Discovery was unfolding..." 

This is the promo fro my new article which I published at https://scriggler.com/DetailPost/Opinion/71178 


I have decided to move a range of excerpts about maritime explorations to a font of materials for my third book. This makes them available for publication even though my work on the second book is going on. 

I claim that the Age of Discovery had a "younger brother", a period starting with the tail end of the 13th century (the expedition of Vivaldi brothers to India) through the most part of the 14th century, when almost all islands in the Central Atlantic (the Canaries, the Madeiras, and the Azores) had been identified. I make use of the evidence from a series of portolan charts, from Angelino Dulceti to Abraham Cresque, and a pseudo travelog the “Libro del conosciemento” [“The Book of Knowledge of All Kingdoms”].  

Meanwhile, I keep working on another chapter from my second book, The Enchanting Encounter with the East. My next extract deals with the Antipodes, a conjectured land below the tropics. I have collected much more evidence than what I have published already (the original version is available at 
https://scriggler.com/DetailPost/Opinion/37535
and I am currently assessing my new findings. I very much hope that I am through until the end of July. 

I'd like to thank my Russian readers of this blog. I wish you left some comments which will help me build a new channel of communication making my writing relevant to you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment